Skip to content

Painting the Brick

September 5, 2012

With fall approaching and the promise of cooler weather ahead, my husband and I are really excited to get to work on the exterior of our new (old) home. We are planning on reworking all the landscaping and would like to paint the brick and trim on the house. I am sure when our house was built in 1987, the Chicago brick was in style  but, now it just isn’t our style.

We had the brick painted on the lake house and we were so happy with the results. Now all we have to do is decide on what color to use for the brick, trim, and doors. You would think it would be a simple task but, it took me several paint samples to find the right color before. I think this house will need something different from the BM Gray Mist we used on the lake house. I would show you a picture of its exterior but, my hard drive crashed a few weeks ago and I hadn’t backed up my files. I lost three years of pictures. It was a little sad and I learned my lesson.

Here are some exteriors that are inspiring me now…

Tone on Tone

Cote de Texas

Things that Inspire

Pinterest

Pinterest

I am really excited to improve the curb appeal of our home. I am starting to obsess over garden ideas and am so in love with Loi Thai’s blue and white gardens over at Tone on Tone. They are simply stunning.

About these ads
11 Comments leave one →
  1. Barbara Bezner permalink
    September 5, 2012 4:42 pm

Beautiful. You can’t go wrong with a similar color scheme.

2. September 5, 2012 5:45 pm

Is that what that style of brick is called? Our neighborhood is filled with it. I wonder if our brick is Chicago style too. I’ve often wondered if we should paint ours; I don’t love it but I don’t loath it either. Ours is kind of multi-color and looks cracked (it was made that way). Picture of our brick:

3. September 5, 2012 10:06 pm

Ahhhh…..great minds think alike! I’ve been thinking about exterior painting as well ( I LOVE painted brick btw)! My house is a pale pink stucco…try to live with that for a while…lol! I love all the photos you’ve posted & can’t wait to see what you decide on. I’m also thinking about a pale neutral creamy tone for the house & maybe a taupe gray trim?? I am always attracted to that when I see it , but then I get scared & think..maybe I should stick to white trim….
    I also agree with you on Loi’s taste on everything…exquisite!
    Is the first pic of your new “old” house? It’s beautiful! Painting it will make it even more gorgeous :)

4. September 6, 2012 12:47 am

Beautiful houses…love the creamy color. Can’t wait to see how your house turns out.

5. September 6, 2012 2:04 am

Thank you! :) I have to report that my garden is filling in nicely….too nicely….needs a good whacking back. I may have over planted.
    xoxo
    Loi

6. September 6, 2012 2:07 am

PS – Forgot to say I LOVE painted brick homes. Good luck. L

7. Marlene Wilson permalink
    September 7, 2012 8:34 pm

Jennifer, I love white houses too and blue & white…and really love painted brick. These pictures of these homes are so attractive. I’m excited for you getting to move into your beautiful new home this fall. Marlene

8. September 25, 2012 10:20 pm

I just love painted brick…that would be my dream home.

9. October 2, 2012 1:55 pm

It will look stunning…love the color scheme!

10. October 17, 2013 5:05 pm

I truly love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you develop
    this website yourself? Please reply back as I’m hoping to create my own personal
    website and want to know where you got this from or just what the theme is named.
    Thank you!

11. April 15, 2014 2:11 pm

I’m extremely pleased to discover this web site. I need to to thank you for your time just for this wonderful read!!

I definitely loved every bit of it and I have you saved as a
    favorite to look at new information on your site.