Skip to content

Living Room Before and After

November 7, 2012

It is so difficult for me to share these images with you. ;-) After pining just about every beautiful home on Pinterest TWICE, you start to have massively high standards for your own home. The living room is by no means finished. We need window coverings and I would like to do something different with the cabinet doors since they are dated. My photography skills are lacking but, I am going to get over myself and share some shots with you.

MLS Before photo…

After…

MLS Before Photo…

After…

We painted the orange walls, ripped out the white carpet and had wood flooring installed. We also replaced the fan with a chandelier. The furniture is what we had to work with and is enough room for family or friends to sit and visit.

The fireplace had pink marble tile surround and a brass cover as you see here…

Since we are taking a break from spending money on the house, my husband sanded and painted the marble to get rid of the pink and then he painted the brass cover with Annie Sloan paint. I think it made a huge difference in the room.

Another shot from the stairway…

Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope you are having a great week!

About these ads
26 Comments leave one →
  1. November 7, 2012 6:44 pm

Heather, the room is stunning! Great job, you are very talented!

2. November 7, 2012 7:58 pm

You are being blinded by Pinterest – this is a fantastic before and after. I love the changes you made – the white walls and dark floor are gorgeous, fabulous chandelier and painting over the mantle, and your husband’s work on the fireplace (!) is incredible. What a difference. Also, the windows don’t look bare, it looks fresh. Sit back in one of those comfy looking sofas and enjoy! Your work is perfection.
    All best,
    Phyllis

3. Barbara Bezner permalink
    November 7, 2012 9:05 pm

I agree with Phyllis! What a beautiful place to sit and talk with friends and family. Glad you got over your misgivings and posted these images. You’ve done a great job!

4. November 7, 2012 9:25 pm

The room looks amazing! You should be very proud of it. Love the flooring and your choice of lighting (cute lantern in the foyer), oh and the great art over the mantel. I recently decided to do two sofas facing each other in my living room as well. I had already ordered one from Resto when I came up with the idea so looks like I will be ordering a second! Your husband did a great job with the mantel. Can’t wait to see more :)
    Heidi

• November 8, 2012 12:33 pm

Thank you Heidi for your kind words! I have thought about chicken wire and I think it is a great idea. The cabinets are very deep which made me concerned it might look funny but, they would not be lighted so I think it could actually work.

5. November 7, 2012 9:28 pm

Oh, forgot to mention, have you thought about just removing the cabinets doors and having just built in shelving instead? You mentioned you wanted to do something different…..or you can install doors with chicken wire like Joni (from Cote de Texas) did in her living room…love that look!

• Barbara Bezner permalink
      November 7, 2012 9:40 pm

Love the chicken wire idea for the cabinet doors! It would give that wall some additional visual depth. And would work well with those mirrors.

6. November 8, 2012 2:21 pm

The transformation is amazing. I love the white sofas and rug!!

7. November 8, 2012 4:20 pm

It looks AMAZING! Oh course, I had little doubt it would.

8. November 8, 2012 7:21 pm

Thank you Paula!

9. Anonymous permalink
    November 9, 2012 6:40 pm

It’s awesome!!!!!

10. November 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Fabulous job! I love the art and the rug and chandelier…genius to paint the marble. What a makeover!

11. November 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Just pinned it! Thanks.

12. November 13, 2012 1:36 am

Are you kidding me…it’s magazine worthy. Your chandelier is absolutely stunning and I am dying to know what your hubby did to the marble. We have some old glass tiles(bad colors) at our beach house that we are renovating that we would love to paint rather than replace, but have no idea how to make them look so beautiful…help!

• November 13, 2012 2:55 am

Thank you so much for your kind words! As far as the marble tiles go, he used 60 grit sandpaper with an electric sander and sanded all the tile. He then wiped it clean and painted with regular matte wall paint. The entire process took him about an hour. Good luck with your glass tiles. :-)

13. November 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi, Heather –
    Beautiful and so gracious! Your house is gorgeous. I love the crown moldings, vestibule entry area, and everything you’ve done. And the ceilings are so tall! The painting over the fireplace is wonderful. Please show us more :)
    xoxo
    Loi

14. November 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Your too kind Loi! Thank you.

15. November 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Oh, I just love your transformation! Stunning difference! Annie Sloan Paint on the fireplace? Did he wax it? It is stunning…..
    Love that he painted the stone…great idea…
    The color on the wall makes the biggest difference and the painting over the fireplace, where did you find that? Wonderful!
    Nancy

16. Lindsay permalink
    December 7, 2012 1:02 am

I’m just stopping by from Pinterest, and had to comment to tell you what a beautiful space you’ve created! You’ve done an amazing job. No space is ever finished and you should be proud of your progress!! Just love it and had to say so.

17. December 10, 2012 3:18 pm

You have created an amazing space, well done.

18. February 3, 2013 4:26 am

Ditto every single word above. Wow! Just a fabulous makeover. Love every single thing. Congratulations on a great job.