Skip to content

Changes Around Here and My Final Post

April 29, 2013

Satisfying Spaces has been a fun outlet for me over the last few years. I have really enjoyed meeting people from different parts of the country and even internationally. It is a wonderful forum for someone like me who is obsessed with interior design but, I don’t seem to have the same level of inspiration I’ve had in the past. I may change my mind one day but, for now, I am going to sail off into the sunset. Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive with your sweet comments. Now, on to the good stuff.

My husband and I have built four homes and this is our third renovation project. We plan to stay in this house for a while so we have a list of things we want to do to make it feel more like our own. The last couple of months we were able to check off two major items on our to do list. Painting the exterior of the house and redoing all the pool coping, porches, and the backyard landscaping.

Before photo…

Satisfying Spaces

After…

Satisfying Spaces

We painted the porch ceilings blue…Satisfying Spaces

Here are a couple of shots of the back of the house before…Satisfying Spaces

Satisfying Spaces

We removed the shrubs and put in a patio.

Satisfying Spaces

We also removed the two trees by the back porch. They dropped tons of berries and leaves which the dogs tracked into the house constantly and the pavers were always stained with red and black squashed berries. The columns are now gone as well. The back porch was carpet. We replaced the carpet with brick.

IMG_1514

You can’t tell in the pictures but, the concrete decking is scored in a criss cross pattern.Satisfying Spaces

Back porch during project after the carpet was ripped out.IMG_1524

Satisfying Spaces

The shrubs we removed…

IMG_1516

The patio we added…I would love to add an espalier to soften all the hard space.

Satisfying Spaces

The backyard before…IMG_1508

We added a Bocce Ball/horseshoe pit and planted a lot of hydrangea, azaleas, and knock out roses since they do so well here in the hot Texas summers as well as some other evergreen trees and shrubs.Satisfying Spaces

Satisfying Spaces

Satisfying Spaces

Thank you again to everyone who followed and supported Satisfying Spaces!

About these ads
40 Comments leave one →
  1. April 29, 2013 1:45 pm

I hate that you will no longer be blogging! I always enjoy your posts, as you have wonderful taste! I hope that you will pop in every now and then with updates around your home. I hope that you and your family are able to enjoy your beautiful new backyard this summer.

Vikki

• April 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks Vikki! I have been enjoying your beach house renovations. I am excited for you and good luck!

2. Anonymous permalink
    April 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Awesome transformation! I’m glad I’ve been able to be a part of your vision for the past 3 years (or 14 for that matter)!

3. Barbara Bezner permalink
    April 29, 2013 2:23 pm

You’ve done a beautiful job renovating this house, both inside and out. You’ve been a wonderful source of inspiration for me and my own decorating projects. I remember the before and after photographs of your two previous homes and I am convinced that you have a special gift for creating warm, inviting and beautiful spaces. Your blog has provided images of other fabulous projects that I would never have seen if it weren’t for your postings. So thank you very much for everything you’ve shown us on SatisfyingSpaces. I will truly miss it!

4. Amy G permalink
    April 29, 2013 2:31 pm

Wow, you have really out done yourself with this one. The painted brick brings so much elegance to your home. An amazing transformation!! You do have a gift, the things that you see to change ADD so much to the overall look. Great job! And final post? Huh? Don’t leave us hanging. : )

• April 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Thank you Amy! I can’t wait to see what you build on your beautiful piece of land down south! Are you still on track to move down there in a year or so?

5. Haley permalink
    April 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Your home looks beautiful. I am interested in the colors you used to paint your house. Do you mind sharing?

Thanks!

• April 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you Haley! We had the brick and trim painted Benjamin Moore Ballet White and the back doors and garage doors are BM Brandon Beige. We saw the colors on a home Castro Design Studio has on Houzz and fell in love.

6. April 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Painting that brick made a world of difference. What a lovely home you have! I will miss your posts!

• April 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Thank you Cindy! I saw the images of your rental property Villa Cantina and fell in love! My husband and I need to experience a California trip soon!

7. April 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Oh my goodness….everything looks amazing!!!! That painted brick is to die for!! You must share what paint color you used. You can’t just leave us hanging, I was so looking forward to seeing the rest of your beautiful home. I understand if u don’t have the time but I hope you reconsider. It was always a joy & inspiration to see your posts.
    Heidi

• April 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Thank you Heidi! I feel like you and I have kind of been in the same boat as far as having to deal with homes that were still stuck in the eighties. You have done an amazing job with your home and I look forward to seeing more!

We had the brick and trim painted BM Ballet White and the back doors and garage doors are painted BM Brandon Beige. We saw Castro Design Studio’s home on Houzz with those exact colors and loved the combination. I am so glad we did the brick and trim the same color. It is a really classic, clean look.

• April 30, 2013 2:54 pm

I am so glad to hear your color choices! I’ve used ballet white inside most of the first floor & it was the color I was thinking of for the exterior as well. Now I will def use it :) I think I’ve seen the home u are referring to on Houzz

Sent from my iPhone

8. Anonymous permalink
    April 29, 2013 3:35 pm

I have always liked the traditional red brick but boy oh boy….you have painted your last 2 houses white/cream and it makes a world of difference! Elegant and sophisticated. I can’t get over the difference of the whole place inside and out in just one year! When I get my next house I am drafting you to help decorate!!! I am thoroughly impressed with what you and Jeremy have accomplished!

9. sandy mccune permalink
    April 29, 2013 3:54 pm

I will miss you!. I had just recently found you and was enjoying your Blog. I hope after some time off you find you need to come back.I,too, was impressed by your makeover. Good Luck

10. April 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi, Heather –
    You all have done an amazing job – beautiful renovation! I especially love the brick painted. The house looks so sophisticated and clean. I will miss you here :( But so glad we will still be connecting via Pinterest and Instagram. Please keep in touch.
    Loi
    PS – I’ll still keep your blog on my blog list. Will look for future postings!!

• April 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Loi – You are too kind. Thank you for all of your encouragement. It means a lot and I will continue to enjoy following your blog and on Pinterest, and Instagram. You work is so inspiring!

11. Anonymous permalink
    April 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Heather,
    I emailed with you last year about the lake house. We ended up buying up there and are loving it! My old computer crashed along with all of my saved emails so I lost the info you sent me regarding the contractor you used, along with your email address. I have been meaning to get in touch with you and just saw that you are closing the blog so I figured I should do it quickly! I hate to be any trouble, but if you wouldn’t mind emailing me I would truly appreciate it! robynloren2 at yahoo dot com.

The backyard looks AMAZING! You have done a stunning job of taking a typical house in this area and making it look fresh and beautiful. I will miss your blog but I follow you on Pinterest and will look forward to seeing more beautiful images there!

Robyn

12. April 30, 2013 3:17 am

ohhhh, heather you will be missed. here’s hoping you get refreshed, we will be here, anxiously.

we all love before & after’s but you are one talented lady, this is an entirely new, fresh home & landscape. very very beautiful.
    so long my friend, not good-bye
    xx
    debra

• April 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Thank you Debra! Your sweet comments have been so appreciated. I will continue to follow your blog and enjoy hearing about your international trips. :-)

13. April 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Aw, I’m bummed. I found you recently, though Heidi, and wish I had been along for the ride earlier. I’m thrilled that there are three years of archives to read, though. :)

14. Anonymous permalink
    April 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Beautiful changes to your exterior! Truly timelss and yet so current! Will miss your blog! Hope to see you on Pinterst. You have amazing taste!
    Fondly, Kelly Shaver

15. Gail permalink
    May 1, 2013 9:36 pm

I found your blog through Pinterest and have enjoyed going backwards through your blog posts! You and your wonderful sense of style and your spot on eye for the classic will be missed by many, I am sure. Good luck!

16. May 2, 2013 2:36 pm

NOOOOO! Soooo sad you will be leaving the blog world!! Love all of your changes, especially the white painted brick. You’re home is gorgeous!!!

17. May 4, 2013 11:29 am

Thank you for all of the wonderful inspiration & eye candy, I will miss you & your beautiful blog.
    I love love love you make over, such a transformation.

Good luck & hopefully we will see you again someday!!!

18. Patrick permalink
    May 8, 2013 2:38 pm

Did you have to do any supports when you removed the columns by the porch?

19. June 12, 2013 3:49 am

more wait .. ;)

20. June 28, 2013 3:51 pm

You will be missed!!! Come back when you are ready!

21. October 23, 2013 2:10 am

プラダ バッグ 激安

22. October 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Heather, I am late to this post… but want to say that I ADORE your house painted white. The difference it makes is absolutely amazing- I know so many people are afraid to paint, but if they could only see the dramatic results of your home they would do it in a heartbeat! It is just beautiful!!
    I totally understand about ending the blog… I ponder my time in the game myself;) I sometimes pop onto Pinterest (I don’t do boards- just look;) and I always check out your boards- you have great boards! Hope you are well!
    all my best,
    joan

23. August 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates high quality, SEO friendly articles in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free content source